Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ham Shui Gok

When I went to New York, my best friend and I had dimsum in chinatown. It was my first time trying the authentic dimsum as opposed to the store bought shu mai. Well there was this one kind that was crunchy on the outside with chewy mochi and savory delicious-ness inside- I later found out that delicious-ness was called ham shui gok.

And during the weekend, I just had to make it myself! My version has more of a korean taste, the only similar thing was the crust, but it's still delicious.






In the original version I heard you use ground pork, which I replaced with ground beef. My mama always taught me to grind your own beef, that way you know what's really in your beef. To the ground beef I added: finely diced mushrooms, onions, garlic, and scallions, a touch of sesame oil, a good amount of soy sauce, a bit of salt and pepper and mixed filling together with an egg. In a separate bowl I combined sweet rice powder (Mochiko powder) with water and seasoned that with a tiny amount of salt and sugar. The texture should be soft to the touch but not gloppy. Then I rolled ball-shaped mochiko dough with my palms, stuffed it with the filling and closed it up. Then you fry them in oil and voila, my version of ham shui gok! Enjoy~


I also started a new cross stitch pattern. This is the progress I made in four days.


Title: Noah's Ark Sampler (Cross Stitch & Country Crafts Dec 92)
Date Started: March 14, 2009


1 comment:

Carin said...

What a lovely Noah's Ark! Can't wait to see it finished.

Are you gonna stitch one over one (Doll House)?

I also have sometimes problems with posting comments. I really don't now what it is.