Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My yummy Heart

I baked a heart shaped pineapple cake with lemon frosting and blueberry&raspberry topping. The cake was so moist and delectable, and the frosting was refreshing, and the blueberry & raspberry topping was just enough of sweet to balance the cake.


Semi Homemade~

This time I didn't have enough time to make it from scratch so I used a pineapple flavored store bought cake mix (+ eggs, water, oil). To that I added 1/4 cup of plain low-fat yogurt so the cake would be extra moist. I baked it at 250 for 35 minutes. (My oven is extra hot! Because the body is so small, the heat is concentrated and it burns the contents if you don't pay close attention.) I split the batter and baked it in two batches. After the cakes cooled I chilled it in the refrigerator for a couple hours. For the frosting I took the juice (1/2 cup) and zest of two lemons, 3 eggs, 3 Tbs of honey. I put this mixture over a pan of simmering water and stirred the mixture for about 10 mins. Then I let it cool and stored it in the refrigerator to chill. In the meanwhile I whipped up 3/4 cups of heavy cream, incorporated the chilled lemon mixture with 3 Tbs of low fat yogurt and there you have the frosting.

For the blueberry/raspberry syrup I took 3 Tbs of berry jam, 3 Tbs of grape fruit juice, and simmered the contents over low heat.

Next, I frosted up the cakes and decorated the edges with finely chopped roasted walnuts. And lined up blueberries in a shape of a heart and filled it in with the berry reduction. Then I put some of the leftover frosting in a ziplock bag, snipped the edge and wrote a short message.
Voila~ my yummy heart! And it was a success!

A tip
When frosting the cake, you can get crumbs in the frosting. To avoid this first thinnly coat the cake with the frosting. Then wash up your tool and add a second layer of frosting, now your frosting will be crumb free.

Also an update on my Doll house:

I wasn't able to get any stitching done on it yesterday, hopefully I'll get to work on it tomorrow~

1 comment:

Candace said...

Your mother is blessed to have a wonderful daughter like you!!

Your jewelry is BEAUTIFUL!!!

the smiling stitcher